Monday, May 21, 2007

My First QSO



A number of new hams in the area are upgrading to General and above due to the new rule changes eliminating CW as a requirement to transmit on the HF bands. Brings me back to my first QSO. Lets set the flux capacitor on the time machine to 1975 and rev the Delorian up to 88 miles per hour and go back....

It was October, I think, when I went to the home of my elmer, Bill Asbury, WA4GYZ, to take my Novice test. This is a story unto itself, but since this is about my first QSO, suffice it to say I left there not sure if I had passed or not. Back in those days, your elmer just proctored the test and it was mailed off and graded by the FCC.

That winter I ordered and built a Heathkit HW-16 with the help of my friend Jim Duke who's dad had built a number of Heathkit TV and stereo sets. I had it up and running after a few trips to Jim's house and a once over from his dad.

The winter was over and I had all but given up on my Novice ticket when it finely arrived in May of 1976! I got a big lump in my throat, it was time to get on the air! I called Mr. Asbury and asked him what to do, I had forgotten everything! He was firm, but compassionate with me in saying, "come on now, Marty, you can do it!" He was definitely "old school" and did not believe in pampering. I'll say.

The rig and antenna had to be completed and I spent the ensuing summer copying QSO's in anticipation. Finely, one full year after sitting for the test, I plugged in my only JAN FT-243 crystal on 3725 and listened. I was petrified with fear, but somehow managed to send CQ DE WN4OAR as I had done a bizillion times on my practice keyer, only this time I was watching the meter on the rig bounce as I sent. Would I be able to copy any response? Here it comes.... "WN4OAR DE W3IHA W3IHA K" I began to shake uncontrollably as if I were freezing. But I did not freeze, somehow I eeked out, "W3IHA DE WN4OAR RRR UR RST IS 579 579 QTH IS JUPITER, FL JUPITER, FL NAME IS MARTY MARTY BTU W3IHA DE WN4OAR KN" To which the reply, "WN4OAR DE W3IHA R TNX UR RST 559 559 QTH IS SILVER SPRING, MD SILVER SPRING, MD NAME IS LEO LEO RIG IS HW100 TO END FED ZEPP" and it went on with me giving Leonard my address and informing him of my first QSO. What a thrill! It was a very significant moment in my life and I remember it vividly. Mark that date in history as October 11, 1976 at 0021 GMT (UTC as we know it now)

What are first QSO's like for new hams today? I can tell you, back then it were scary!

No comments: