Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day


To the members of all the US armed forces, past and present:


I know that this is not directly related to ham radio, but with so much owed by so many to so few I believe it is worth setting our hobby aside one moment. (I am re phrasing the famous Winston Churchill quote referring to the RAF pilots at the end of the Battle of Britian)


Without the sacrifice of those who went into harm's way on my behalf, I would not be able to opine on this blog, speak to others all over the world via radio, and assemble with my friends of a like mind at my monthly ham radio meeting.


My pale "thank you" is small in comparison. I'd like to mention specifically the ham radio operators that entered the US armed forces in the middle of the 20th century where communications was not nearly developed as it is today. Back then, America entered a great world war woefully unprepared. Hams were regarded as a "God-send" to the signal corps hitting the ground running in establishing quickly a ready communications infrastructure so critical for the survival of our civilization. Every time you see an old black and white news-reel picture of a B-17 spiraling to earth realize there was a radio operator on board most likely a ham. I mention that in hopes to bring this solemn holiday closer to home.


Thank you

No comments: