Sunday, May 13, 2007

BS7H Scarborough Reef DXpedition

Yes, I worked 'em.

I can honestly say it was 50% shear luck. Yes, I was on 20 meters at the right time during our precariously short propagation opening on 20 metres; Yes, I have an antenna (Force 12 C3E at 85') that will do the job; Yes, I used a half-kilowatt amp (Ameritron AL-811) to give me just a little help; Yes, I had great advice from experienced DXer here locally; But all that added together did not assure me of the contact.

BS7 is the rarest entity on the DXCC want list and for all practical purposes NO NONE had this confirmed yet. That means that every ham in the world that had any casual interest in DX was trying to work them. With over 6 million hams in the world, my wild guess is that maybe 20% are interested or have the equipment to work DX. That's 1.2 million. Maybe half of those (again, I'm guessing) had the time available to actively pursue the DX.

Boil it all down, there could have been 600,000 hams in search of that elusive Q, and in fact only 44,00 QSO's were made (according to the BS7H web report)

You've got better odds winning a door prize at a hamfest raffle. Lucky? Yes!

No comments: