Sunday, May 20, 2007

MXL-990 Condenser Microphone


After hearing the MXL-990 on the air it sparked me to read the reviews on eHam. I had to try it out. An order to MusiciansFriend with the outboard phantom supply and pop filter I was on my way 4 days later spending less than $100.
This mic is now my primary station ragchew mic. Its a delight to use and always a good conversation piece, especially when asked how I achieve such good TX audio.

I mounted everything via the included isolation mount (a necessity IMHO) on my Heil topless boom and made all my cables. Every time I go to a hamfest I make sure I stock up on the connectors so I can do things like this when I get the urge! I wired the new mic via my 2-band W2IHY EQ/Noise gate to my FT-1000MP. Not that this is really necessary, but the W2IHY makes setting the levels a snap and inserting PTT.
I had to "re-learn" on how to speak into this mic, 8-12" away is the norm, not close up, it is very sensitive. So thats the other thing you have to watch out for with a condenser, its very sensitive. One time the phone rang in the other room and the guy I was in QSO with asked if I needed to step away and answer the phone! A quiet shack is a necessity. Audio reports have ranged from "pleasant full sounding" to "fantastic".

Bottom line, for a condenser, this inexpensive unit would be tough to beat at twice the price. Properly applied, I think it sounds as good or better than the ham specific mics in the $300-400 range (you know the ones I'm talking about) But don't run out and buy one without thinking it through. A condenser is not the best choice in some situations.
I couldn't be more pleased with the results. And to think I did it all for less than $100 is icing on the cake.