Thursday, June 21, 2007

Begali Simplex

Pictured at the right is my Begali Simplex paddle (well, actually, that's the canned picture from the Begali site.) I have had it for almost 3 years now. Is it ever a nice paddle.

Begali is an Italian maker of CW paddles and keys. Mr. Piero Begali specializes in magnetic "spring less" keying devices, but this is a conventional design on the "low end" with no magnets.

You'd never know this is the "low end" version. At $133 plus shipping to the USA (about $20) it was a great value considering the superb quality of the unit. I think now it sells for $148 plus shipping, still a very good value.

I can honestly say I adjusted it once initially the way I liked it, and have not touched the adjustments since, nearly 3 years being carted around and used for Field Day, Mobile contesting (Winner NCQSO Party Mobile/2007) the little plastic cover is a bit tattered, but it has done its job as the sacrificial part to protect the key from dust, dirt and grime.

My next key will be (when I get some extra dough) the "Magnetic Traveler" which comes in at about $248. Have a look at it and you will see why it makes a great companion for mobiling or portable (Field Day) paddle.

I know for the purists the N2DAN Mercury original may be the best paddle ever, but I can't honestly say how, from a purely functional viewpoint, it could be better from even this simple low end paddle. I understand the Mercury's story so it may be worth $2500 to someone for its artistic and mystique value.

But speaking from a purely functional viewpoint, Begali is the last paddle you will ever need. And it is very nice looking to boot.

It will be making the CW from W4DCG Field Day Site this weekend! Be there of be square!

73 de Marty / W4MY



No comments: